Leah Pelly

Sunday 10 May 2015

5 Top Tips For Last Minute Revision.

Hey Gals,
As most of you are aware GCSE exams start this up coming week and if your as unorganized as me you'll have left the subjects you hate to revise for last minute. And now your panicking. I'm not going to say you brought this all on yourself- I've been there, i know that now you're probably looking at your revision guide and thinking 'what even does this word mean?' I feel ya. But honestly, lets just put maximum effort in for these next 3 weeks and I'm sure will pay off for the rest of your life. So here goes my 5 top tips for last minute revision.

1). Get them post its out.
Yep, you heard. For me the best revision technique is using 900 million post it notes. Of course, not actually 900 million but you get the idea. I use these to jot down key points and sometimes definitions of words. Sometimes I stick them up around the house so that when I'm putting my makeup or whatever I can just look at it and try and stick it to my brain. This really helps me with key terms. Plus when your sitting in the exam you can think back to where that post it is the house and remember whats on it. However, this is more effective if you do it quite a while before your exams. I also use the post it notes as flashcards sometimes. So when I eat my tea I'll take a post it note and sit with it in front of me and voila by the time you've finished you know it half by heart. You can even take them on a car journey with you and just cover the word and then try and recite the meaning. That works particularly well with English Literature quotes.

2). Use a variety of techniques.
One of the reasons you get bored when doing revision is because you sit there with your head in a text book and reread the same paragraph over and over again. Sure, using a revision guide is perfect for getting your information some times but try to mix things up from time to time. Try finding useful revision videos on 'YouTube' or visit websites such as 'BBC Bitesize'. I found particularly useful apps on my phone. I've been liking 'Eduvee' for science revision. It allows you to watch videos about which ever topic you wish to learn about, read information on it and test yourself. I've also been loving 'Gojimo' as you can select the topics that are relevant to you and even select different exam boards for each topic which is really useful. Plus, both of these apps are free on the Apple App Store.

3). Take a break.
Every 40 minutes or so remember to take a break from revision. Taking breaks regularly between revision sessions is proven to help you remember and implant things into your brain. Just try to keep a good ratio between breaks and actual revising. 

4).  Focus on the things you really don't know anything about- there's no point revising things you already know!
I know that when you pick up your revision guide and you have a look at all the topics you need to know the first thing you do is panic about all the things that you don't know how to answer the questions to. Then the next thing you do is think ''Let's do *insert best topic* because I know how to answer that. DON'T DO IT. You're making it worse for yourself. If you know a small amount about a lot of topics then that's better than knowing everything about 2 topics and just praying that they come up on the exam.

5). Try to stay calm.
I know it's hard but try and stay calm.If you begin to panic your definitely going to forget things. Before you go into your exam try and do something that makes you more calm. I usually listen to music whilst looking through some key notes. Just stay calm and you'll be fine.


Good Luck to anyone sitting there GCSE's this year or any other exam for that matter. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.
Leah - Pentatonic Pelly.

BBC Bitesize: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education




_______________________________________________________________

Twitter:https://twitter.com/LeahPelly?lang=en-gb
Pinterest:https://uk.pinterest.com/leahpelly/
Bloglovin': https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/leah-pelly-14041421
Amazine:http://www.amazine.com/user/leah-pelly
Instagram:https://instagram.com/leahpelly/
Tumblr:http://leahpelly.tumblr.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment